While we have not made any material changes to the way we process data about our users, we have updated this policy to make it shorter and easier to read, and to comply with the EU General Data Protection Regulation coming into force on May 25, 2018
Who we are
Our website address is: https://thequaternarysector.com.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
1. What Data We Get
We collect certain data from you directly, like information you enter yourself, data about your acquisitions or participation in courses, and data from third-party platforms you connect with The Quaternary Sector. We also collect some data automatically, like information about your device and what parts of our Services you interact with or spend time using.
1.1 Data You Provide to Us
We may collect different data from or about you depending on how you use the Services. Below are some examples to help you better understand the data we collect.
When you create an account and use the Services, including through a third-party platform, we collect any data you provide directly, including:
|Account Data||In order to use certain features (like buying a product or tool or enrolling in a course), you need to create a user account. When you create or update your account, we collect and store the data you provide, like your email address, password, gender, and date of birth, and assign you a unique identifying number (“Account Data”).|
|Profile Data||You can also choose to provide profile information like a photo, headline, website link, social media profiles, or other data. Your Profile Data will be publicly viewable by others.|
|Shared Content||Parts of the Services let you interact with other users or share content publicly, including by posting reviews on a product, tool or course page, asking or answering questions, sending messages to clients or partners, or posting photos or other work you upload. Such shared content may be publicly viewable by others depending on where it is posted.|
|Product Data||When you buy a product or tool or you enroll in and take courses, we collect certain data including which products, tools or courses, assignments and quizzes you’ve started and completed; your exchanges with partners, instructors, teaching assistants, and other students; and essays, answers to questions, and other items submitted to satisfy course requirements.|
|Student Payment Data||If you make purchases, we collect certain data about your purchase (such as your name and zip code) as necessary to process your order. You must provide certain payment and billing data directly to our payment processing partners, including your name, credit card information, billing address, and zip code. For security, The Quaternary Sector does not collect or store sensitive cardholder data, such as full credit card numbers or card authentication data.|
|Data About Your Accounts on Other Services||We may obtain certain information through your social media or other online accounts if they are connected to your The Quaternary Sector account. If you login to The Quaternary Sector via Facebook or another third-party platform or service, we ask for your permission to access certain information about that other account. For example, depending on the platform or service we may collect your name, profile picture, account ID number, login email address, location, physical location of your access devices, gender, birthday, and list of friends or contacts. Those platforms and services make information available to us through their APIs. The information we receive depends on what information you (via your privacy settings) or the platform or service decide to give us. If you access or use our Services through a third-party platform or service, or click on any third-party links, the collection, use, and sharing of your data will also be subject to the privacy policies and other agreements of that third party.|
The data listed above is stored by us and associated with your account.
1.2 Data We Collect through Automated Means
When you access the Services (including browsing products, tools or courses), we collect certain data by automated means, including:
|System Data||Technical data about your computer or device, like your IP address, device type, operating system type and version, unique device identifiers, browser, browser language, domain and other systems data, and platform types (“System Data”).|
|Usage Data||Usage statistics about your interactions with the Services, including products, tools or courses accessed, time spent on pages or the Service, pages visited, features used, your search queries, click data, date and time, and other data regarding your use of the Services (“Usage Data”).|
|Approximate Geographic Data||An approximate geographic location, including information like country, city, and geographic coordinates, calculated based on your IP address.|
The data listed above is collected through the use of server log files and tracking technologies, as detailed in the “Cookies and Data Collection Tools” section below. It is stored by us and associated with your account.
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
2. How We Get Data About You
We use tools like cookies, web beacons, analytics services, and advertising providers to gather the data listed above. Some of these tools offer you the ability to opt out of data collection.
2.1 Cookies and Data Collection Tools
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
The Quaternary Sector uses the following types of cookies:
- Preferences: cookies that remember data about your browser and preferred settings that affect the appearance and behavior of the Services (like your preferred language).
- Security: cookies used to enable you to log in and access the Services; protect against fraudulent logins; and help detect and prevent abuse or unauthorized use of your account.
- Functional: cookies that store functional settings (like the volume level you set for video playback).
- Session State: cookies that track your interactions with the Services to help us improve the Services and your browsing experience, remember your login details, and enable processing of your course purchases. These are strictly necessary for the Services to work properly, so if you disable them then certain functionalities will break or be unavailable.
Some of the third-party partners who provide certain features on our site may also use Local Storage Objects (also known as flash cookies or LSOs) to collect and store data.
We use third-party browser and mobile analytics services like Google Analytics, Hotjar, and Intercom on the Services. These services use Data Collection Tools to help us analyze your use of the Services, including information like the third-party website you arrive from, how often you visit, events within the Services, usage and performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We use this data to improve the Services, better understand how the Services perform on different devices, and provide information that may be of interest to you.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
2.3 Online Advertising
We use third-party advertising services like Facebook, Google’s ad services, and other ad networks and ad servers to deliver advertising about our Services on other websites and applications you use. The ads may be based on things we know about you, like your Usage Data and System Data (as detailed in Section 1), and things that these ad service providers know about you based on their tracking data. The ads can be based on your recent activity or activity over time and across other sites and services, and may be tailored to your interests.
Depending on the types of advertising services we use, they may place cookies or other tracking technologies on your computer, phone, or other device to collect data about your use of our Services, and may access those tracking technologies in order to serve these tailored advertisements to you. To help deliver tailored advertising, we may provide these service providers with a hashed, anonymized version of your email address (in a non-human-readable form) and content that you share publicly on the Services.
When using mobile applications you may also receive tailored in-app advertisements. Apple iOS, Android OS, and Microsoft Windows each provide their own instructions on how to control in-app tailored advertising. For other devices and operating systems, you should review your privacy settings or contact your platform operator.
3. What We Use Your Data For
We use your data to do things like provide our Services, communicate with you, troubleshoot issues, secure against fraud and abuse, improve and update our Services, analyze how people use our Services, serve personalized advertising, and as required by law or necessary for safety and integrity.
We use the data we collect through your use of the Services to:
- Provide and administer the Services, including to display customized content and facilitate communication with other users;
- Process your requests and orders for courses, products, specific services, information, or features;
- Communicate with you about your account by:
- Responding to your questions and concerns;
- Sending you administrative messages and information, including messages from instructors and teaching assistants, notifications about changes to our Service, and updates to our agreements;
- Sending you information and in-app messages about your progress in courses, rewards programs, new services, new features, promotions, newsletters, and other available courses (which you can opt out of at any time);
- Sending push notifications to your wireless device to provide updates and other relevant messages (which you can manage from the “options” or “settings” page of the mobile app);
4. Who we share your data with
We share certain data about you with instructors, other students, companies performing services for us, our business partners, analytics and data enrichment providers, your social media providers, companies helping us run promotions and surveys, and advertising companies who help us promote our Services. We may also share your data as needed for security, legal compliance, or as part of a corporate restructuring. Lastly, we can share data in other ways if it is aggregated or de-identified or if we get your consent.
- With Your Instructors: We share data that we have about you (except your email address) with instructors or teaching assistants for courses you enroll in or request information about, so they can improve their courses for you and other students. This data may include things like your city, country, browser language, operating system, device settings, the site that brought you to The Quaternary Sector, and your activities on The Quaternary Sector. If we collect additional data about you (like age or gender), we may share that too. We will not share your email address with instructors or teaching assistants. We also enable our instructors to implement Google Analytics on their course pages to track sources of traffic to their courses and optimize their course pages.
- With Other Students and Instructors: Depending on your settings, your shared content and profile data may be publicly viewable, including to other students and instructors. If you ask a question to an instructor or teaching assistant, your information (including your name) may also be publicly viewable by other users depending on your settings.
- With Service Providers, Contractors, and Agents: We share your data with third-party companies who perform services on our behalf, like payment processing, data analysis, marketing and advertising services (including retargeted advertising), email and hosting services, and customer services and support. These service providers may access your personal data and are required to use it solely as we direct, to provide our requested service.
- With Business Partners: We have agreements with other websites and platforms to distribute our Services and drive traffic to The Quaternary Sector. For example, we work with Benesse in Japan. Depending on your location, we may share your data with these partners.
- With Analytics and Data Enrichment Services: As part of our use of third-party analytics tools like Google Analytics and data enrichment services like Clearbit, we share certain contact information, Account Data, System Data, Usage Data (as detailed in Section 1), or de-identified data as needed. De-identified data means data where we’ve removed things like your name and email address and replaced it with a token ID. This allows these providers to provide analytics services or match your data with publicly-available database information (including contact and social information from other sources). We do this to communicate with you in a more effective and customized manner.
- To Administer Promotions and Surveys: we may share your data as necessary to administer, market, or sponsor promotions and surveys you choose to participate in, as required by applicable law (like to provide a winners list or make required filings), or in accordance with the rules of the promotion or survey.
- For Advertising: If we decide to offer advertising in the future, we may use and share certain System Data and Usage Data with third-party advertisers and networks to show general demographic and preference information among our users. We may also allow advertisers to collect System Data through Data Collection Tools (as detailed in Section 2.1), and to use this data to offer you targeted ad delivery to personalize your user experience (through behavioral advertising) and undertake web analytics. Advertisers may also share with us the data they collect about you. To learn more or opt out from participating ad networks’ behavioral advertising, see Section 6.1 (Your Choices About the Use of Your Data) below. Note that if you opt out, you’ll continue to be served generic ads.
- For Security and Legal Compliance: We may disclose your data to third parties if we (in our sole discretion) have a good faith belief that the disclosure is:
- Permitted or required by law;
- Requested as part of a judicial, governmental, or legal inquiry, order, or proceeding;
- Reasonably necessary as part of a valid subpoena, warrant, or other legally-valid request;
- Required to detect, prevent, or address fraud, abuse, misuse, potential violations of law (or rule or regulation), or security or technical issues; or
- Reasonably necessary in our discretion to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property, or safety of The Quaternary Sector, our users, employees, members of the public, or our Services.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
We use appropriate security based on the type and sensitivity of data being stored. As with any internet-enabled system, there is always a risk of unauthorized access, so it’s important to protect your password and to contact us if you suspect any unauthorized access to your account.
The Quaternary Sector takes appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your personal data that we collect and store. These measures vary based on the type and sensitivity of the data. Unfortunately, however, no system can be 100% secured, so we cannot guarantee that communications between you and The Quaternary Sector, the Services, or any information provided to us in connection with the data we collect through the Services will be free from unauthorized access by third parties. Your password is an important part of our security system, and it is your responsibility to protect it. You should not share your password with any third party, and if you believe your password or account has been compromised, you should change it immediately and contact [email protected] and [email protected] with any concerns.
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
6. Your Rights
You have certain rights around the use of your data, including the ability to opt out of promotional emails, cookies, and collection of your data by certain analytics providers. You can update or terminate your account from within our Services, and can also contact us for individual rights requests about your personal data. Parents who believe we’ve unintentionally collected personal data about their underage child should contact us for help deleting that information.
6.1 Your Choices About the Use of Your Data
You can choose not to provide certain data to us, but you may not be able to use certain features of the Services.
- To stop receiving promotional communications from us, you can opt out by using the unsubscribe mechanism in the promotional communication you receive or by changing the email preferences in your account. Note that regardless of your email preference settings, we will send you transactional and relationship messages regarding the Services, including administrative confirmations, order confirmations, important updates about the Services, and notices about our policies.
- The browser or device you use may allow you to control cookies and other types of local data storage. Your wireless device may also allow you to control whether location or other data is collected and shared. You can manage Adobe’s LSOs through their Website Storage Settings panel.
- To opt out of allowing Google Analytics, Hotjar, Mixpanel, ZoomInfo, or Clearbit to use your data for analytics or enrichment, see the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on, Hotjar Opt-Out Cookie, Mixpanel Opt-Out Cookie,ZoomInfo’s policy, and Clearbit data claiming mechanism.
6.2 Accessing, Updating, and Deleting Your Personal Data
You can access and update your personal data that The Quaternary Sector collects and maintains as follows:
- To update data you provide directly, log into your account and update your account at any time.
- To terminate your account:
- If you are a student, visit your profile settings page.
- If you are an instructor, follow the steps on profile settings page.
- If you have any issues terminating your account, email us at [email protected], [email protected] or via our Support Center.
6.3 Our Policy Concerning Children
We recognize the privacy interests of children and encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities and interests. Children under 13 (or under 16 in the European Economic Area) should not use the Services. If we learn that we’ve collected personal data from a child under those ages, we will take reasonable steps to delete it.
Where we send your data
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
Your contact information
7. Jurisdiction-Specific Rules
If you live in Romania or U.E., you have certain rights to request information. Users outside of the United States should note that we not transfer data to the US and other areas outside of the European Economic Area.
When we make a material change to this policy, we’ll notify users via email, in-product notice, or another mechanism required by law. Changes become effective the day they’re posted. Please contact us via email or postal mail with any questions, concerns, or disputes.
How we protect your data
What data breach procedures we have in place
What third parties we receive data from
What automated decision making and/or profiling we do with user data
Industry regulatory disclosure requirements
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files stored by your browser as you browse the internet. They can be used to collect, store, and share data about your activities across websites, including on The Quaternary Sector. Cookies also allow us to remember things about your visits to The Quaternary Sector, like your preferred language, and to make the site easier to use.
We use both session cookies, which expire after a short time or when you close your browser, and persistent cookies, which remain stored in your browser for a set period of time. We use session cookies to identify you during a single browsing session, like when you log into The Quaternary Sector. We use persistent cookies where we need to identify you over a longer period, like when you request that we keep you signed in.
|Authentication and security||To log you into The Quaternary Sector To protect your security To help detect and fight spam, abuse, and other activities that violate The Quaternary Sector’s agreements|
For example, cookies help authenticate your access to The Quaternary Sector and prevent unauthorized parties from accessing your accounts.
|Preferences||To remember data about your browser and your preferences To remember your settings and other choices you’ve made|
For example, cookies help us remember your preferred language or the country you’re in, so we can provide content in your preferred language without asking each time you visit.
|Analytics and research||To help us improve and understand how people use The Quaternary Sector|
For example, cookies help us test different versions of The Quaternary Sector to see which features or content users prefer, web beacons help us determine which email messages are opened, and cookies help us see how you interact with The Quaternary Sector, like the links you click on.
|Personalized content||To customize The Quaternary Sector with more relevant content|
For example, cookies help us show a personalized list of recommended products, tools or courses on the homepage.
|Advertising||To provide you with more relevant advertising|
To learn more about targeting and advertising cookies and how you can opt out, visit www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/index.html, or if you’re located in the European Union, visit the Your Online Choices site.
Please note that where advertising technology is integrated into the Services, you may still receive advertising on other websites and applications, but it will not be tailored to your interests.
When using mobile applications you may also receive tailored in-app advertisements. Apple iOS, Android OS, and Microsoft Windows each provide its own instructions on how to control in-app tailored advertising. For other devices and operating systems, you should review your privacy settings or contact your platform operator.
What are my privacy options?
- Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can change your browser settings to decline cookies by consulting your browser’s support articles. If you decide to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in, customize, or use some interactive features in the Services.
- Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies, so your browser’s cookie-management tools may not remove them. To learn more about how to manage Flash cookies, see Adobe’s article on managing flash cookiesand Website Storage Settings panel.
- To get information and control cookies used for tailored advertising from participating companies, see the consumer opt-out pages for the Network Advertising Initiative and Digital Advertising Alliance, or if you’re located in the European Union, visit the Your Online Choices site. To opt out of Google Analytics’ display advertising or customize Google Display Network ads, visit the Google Ads Settings page.
- For general information about targeting cookies and how to disable them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Updates & Contact Info